Saturday, January 2, 2010

Living On Purpose


I seem, as I get older, to question my purpose. I know this is something I should have done years ago. Growing up with parents who both worked, we kids were somewhat left on our own (that's how I remember it at least). There was more of a discouragement to get involved in things than an encouragement. I think it was because it would increase my mother's load, and she already had a full load.


At this time in my life I have so many regrets about things I didn't do, things I let myself be talked out of, things I was too scared to try. I want that to change.


I have made a few commitments to myself of late: One is to be sure to raise fearless children. Encourage, support and even push them (a little) to try new things,help them be brave in going for what they want and assist them, when needed, in making the ever so hard first step.


Two is to do the same for myself. Put myself out there, try new things, join groups, learn skills, complete projects. I believe that by doing so I will also set a good example for my kids.


I don't want to live a life by accident. So many bad things happen "on accident". I think just as much harm can come from being passive as can come from purposeful mean-ness or ill will.


I encourage everyone to live your life on purpose. Choose your actions, make them mean something. You don't have to have a big purpose, it doesn't have to change the world, although it just might change your little corner.


Live on Purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment