Wednesday, March 30, 2011

My Background Noise

I belong to a team on Etsy called Aspiring Metalsmiths.  While I don't get to participate as much as I would like (it's been a really busy year) they still let me pop in from time to time to say hello, share a frustration or a picture or two.  I really appreciate this team for their willingness to help, support and overall niceness.  Something not usually found around the fora on Etsy, I tell you.


This month they are having a blogroll of what they listen to while they work.  Although I'm a little behind the 8-ball (as usual) I thought this was an awesome idea and I though I'd share mine with you.

Here it is, in its entirety.


This is what I listen to daily, over and over, while I work.  I know most of these movies by heart and can almost recite them word for word.  Sometimes I do recite lines to my kids which drives them nuts!  My favorite is "....but nobody listens to me" (father on Big Fat Greek Wedding).  That is my special way of saying I told you so.

Ah, I digress...anyway... I tried watching a new movie a few weeks back, to add to the collection, to mix it up a little and it was a complete failure.  I watched the movie instead of working. Nothing was accomplished.  

The studio I am blessed to have is an amazing space, but it is away from the house and it has no windows.  It is impossible fore me to work in there without some type of noise.  My music tastes change from day to day depending on the mood I am in and it would take too long to figure out what I could listen to that day.

These movies work for me.  I can just put one in my little portable dvd player and I'm ready to work. I find that when I put in one of my favorites I can still work and follow the movie along in my head.  I know facial expressions, scenery, body language; it's all in there and I don't have to watch it.

So, there's a little insight into my workings.  If you want to see what others are doing you can start here at Square Peg Nation.  Read what she listens to and then you can jump into the list she provided. 

I'd love to hear what you do when you are working, cleaning, or playing with your hobbies.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love Chocolat! I've only seen bits of My Big Fat Greek Wedding and have never seen the others. Maybe I should!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listening to movies you've seen many times is clever. Never thought of that. I have listened to many books on tape in the past and now often listen to crafty podcasts, when I am working in the studio. Also have one of those 'sound machines' that can sound like a waterfall, the rainforest and such. It is a peaceful background noise when I'm tired of hearing the traffic outside.

    ReplyDelete